Ingrown Toenail Treatments
What are Ingrown Toenails?
An ingrown toenail is a medical condition in which the side or corner of a toenail grows into the soft flesh of the big toenail. The result is swelling, pain, infection, and redness. The condition usually affects the big toenail and any side can be affected.
Symptoms of Ingrown Toenails:
Signs and symptoms of Ingrown toenail include:
- Pain and tenderness
- Overgrowth of skin around the toe
Causes of Ingrown Toenails:
The causes of ingrown toenails are diverse, which are as follow:
- Curved or irregular toenails
- Incorrect cutting of toenails
- Genetic predisposition
- Improper foot hygiene
- Toenail injury
- Poor posture of feet
- Sports injuries
- Inappropriate footwear (footwear that places a lot of pressure on the big toes)
Home Remedies for Ingrown Toenails:
Various home remedies are applied for the treatment of ingrown toenails. Some of these remedies are briefly explained below:
- Soaking of the feet for about 20 to 25 minutes in warm water three to four times per day.
- Pushing the toenail edge away from the skin with a cotton piece soaked in special olive oil
- The application of a specialized topical antibiotic, such as neomycin and polymyxin to prevent infection
- Using over-the-counter medicines, like like paractamol for the pain
We advise you to seek help from your own GP to get help.
Treatment of Ingrown Toenails at Renew Skin and Health Clinic
At Renew Skin and Health Clinic in Leamington Spa, we have dedicated highly experienced orthopedic Surgeons who will discuss your options and can either partially excise the ingrowing toenail (This is preferred in ladies) or remove the entire diseased toenail, which will never grow back again. The procedure is done under local anesthesia; hence you will be fully awake during the surgery. Please be aware that there is a downtime of over a week whilst you are recovering, and during this time you are expected to be in rest and keep the foot raised above you hip at all-time except when you need to use the bathroom.
How to contact us:
Learn about our Client's experience
Renew Skin and Health Clinic is especially necessary to the public since very few other medical institutions in the country treat these rather delicate medical issues. We emphasize not only the effectiveness of the medical treatment we offer, but also the importance of comfort and the general wellbeing of the patient.
We always take great care to offer treatments which offer the best results. Our trained and certified medical staff are prepard to provide with proper medical treatment and to address various skin blemishes you may have.